Risk Management Tip
Keep your home safe during the holidays
‘Tis the season for loading up on gifts, internet shopping, good food and good cheer. The hustle and bustle, however, can blind us to heightened risk that surrounds us this time of year. Thefts and break-ins are more common due to the increase of empty homes stocked with pricey gifts. Make sure you do the following to be more careful, prepared and aware:
- Be cautious about locking doors and windows when you leave your home, even for a few minutes.
- Don’t display gifts where they can been seen from the window or doorway.
- Leave a light, radio or a television on when away from home so your home seems occupied.
- Be wary of strangers coming to your door asking for charitable donations.
- Do not leave boxes from gifts outside for the trash collector. Take them to the dumpster so that your house is not targeted by thieves that are looking for homes that have just bought new appliances, etc.
- Give yourself peace of mind. No matter how you prepare, theft can still find a way into your life. Investing in homeowners or renters insurance can give you peace of mind and help you recover if a burglary does happen.
For additional holiday safety tips, read this information from the Hillsborough County Sheriff’s office.