Risk Management Tip
Dog Bite Claims
Most people underestimate the potential cost of a dog bite. In 2012, the average dog bite claim was $29,752 and accounted for more than 33% of all homeowners insurance liability claim dollars paid out. Take these precautions to ensure that people are safe around your pet:
- If your dog tends to overreact when a stranger enters the house, keep your pet in a separate room before your visitor arrives.
- Install an electric fence to prevent your dog from running away.
- Exercise your pet regularly to reinforce the human-animal bond and to expend excess energy.
- Try to socialize your dog and expose him to many different people and situations, but take care not to overwhelm him.
- Seek professional help from your veterinarian if your dog shows any signs of aggression.
For additional information on dog bite claims, see this infographic.