Risk Management Tip
Protecting your identity
Internet crime schemes steal millions of dollars from unsuspecting victims each year. Make sure you are taking the proper steps to guard yourself against identity theft and other crimes:
- Never give out your Social Security number unless required as part of a legal document and treat it as confidential information.
- Ensure websites are secure before entering your credit card information.
- Never give your credit card number over the phone unless you make the call.
- Monitor your credit card statements monthly to check for fraudulent activity.
- Never throw away credit card or bank statements before shredding.
- Be skeptical of websites that offer prizes or giveaways.
Read this article from the Internet Crime Complaint Center for more information.