Risk Management Tip
Ready, Set, Go Green!
Tuesday, April 22nd is Earth Day. The theme for Earth Day 2014 is Green Cities. The Power of one person can help make our world more green. When we encourage others to get involved, we build a sense of well-being and accomplishment as a community. Here are a few easy steps we can all take to reduce, reuse and recycle:
- Recycle at home and at work – By recycling, we can both eliminate waste that goes into our landfills and also decrease energy use and material consumption for creating new products.
- Upgrade your light bulbs – Installing a compact fluorescent bulb (CFL) is the quickest, easiest way to save energy (and money!). Unlike incandescents, CFLs convert most of the energy they use into light.
- Unplug things that glow – Anything LED that glows even after you turn it off continues to draw power. Unplug your TV, cell phone charger and printer from wall sockets and plug them into power strips instead. When you leave a room, flip the strip switch to cut the flow of electricity.
- Use water efficiently – Do full loads of laundry and only run your dishwasher when it’s full. Make sure you fix leaks, as leaky faucets can waste thousands of gallons of water each year.
- Reuse – Before you throw away that shopping bag or egg carton, give it a second life. Here are some creative ways to reuse home items.