Risk Management Tip
Getting home for the holidays
The holidays are the busiest time of year for travel. Unfortunately, weather and other circumstances do not always make for perfect travel conditions. Follow these steps if your flight is cancelled or you’re worried it will be:
- Buy travel insurance. Even if you can’t get a refund on your flight, the insurance can cover the cost of a non-refundable hotel room.
- Check for a flexible travel policy. Check the airline’s homepage, typically under “Travel Alerts.”
- Know your options. The earlier you can leave, the better. Find acceptable alternate flights.
- Take to Twitter. Tweet your airline with your flight confirmation number and the information about the flight you’d like to be on. As a second choice, call your airline to change your flight. The sooner you do this, the better options you will have.
- Don’t check bags. It will be far easier for an airline to accommodate you on another flight if you only have a carry on. This way, you’ll never lose your luggage