Risk Management Tip
Has your fire extinguisher gone flat?
How to Fill a Fire Extinguisher
- Examine your fire extinguisher. If it has a metal valve, it is refillable. If the valve is plastic, the fire extinguisher cannot be refilled and must be replaced.
- Look on Internet for companies who refill fire extinguishers. While some fire departments refill extinguishers, most rely on outside firms to refill their equipment.
- Take you fire extinguisher to this location. The average cost to refill your fire extinguisher is $15.
Recharging and Disposing of Extinguishers
- Depending on the facilities in your community, you can often have expired fire extinguishers recharged for a low fee. Check your extinguisher to make sure that it can be recharged–some extinguishers are single use only–and then call the office number for your local fire department.
- If your extinguisher is a single use model, you must dispose of it properly. This means you cannot put it in your household trash or drop it in a local dumpster. To dispose of an old or empty extinguisher, put in a call to your area Public Works department or sanitation services..
Read this article more useful fire extinguisher tips.