Risk Management Tip
To ask or not to ask; the pros and cons of an employee survey
The employee survey is a vehicle for engaging with colleagues that allows leadership to receive honest and oftentimes helpful feedback. However, a survey that is not carefully planned and executed runs that risk of doing more harm than good. Follow these tips to gain employee satisfaction that results in genuine action:
- Make sure your survey is user-friendly. Surveys given online or in group settings have greater participation rates.
- Create questions that are clear and easy to understand.
- Focus the survey. Don’t try to cover too many topics at once.
- Publish the survey results. Don’t hide anything, even if it is negative.
- Make an honest effort to follow-up after the survey. Address the results and try to improve circumstances based on what’s learned.