Risk Management Tip
What screams summer more than a backyard barbeque? Whether you’re hosting backyard get-togethers or just relaxing by the pool, keep these tips in mind for creating your own safe backyard oasis:
- Choose a safe location for your grill and keep it on a level surface more than 10 feet away from the house, garage, deck rails or other structures.
- Grease or fat buildup can catch and spread fire quickly,so keep your grill clean.
- Supervise children while they play on playsets. Regularly check playsets for sturdiness, rusty bolts and wood rot. Ensure playsets do not have openings between pieces that could trap a child’s head or neck, and place them on level ground on wood chips or other soft materials to prevent injuries.
- Before mowing, clear the yard of any debris or loose objects that could fly out from under the lawnmower and cause injury. Also, never try to unclog a running mower, and never leave a running lawnmower unattended.
- If you use pesticides and weed killers, wear protective clothing and don’t spray around children or pets. Never use more than what the manufacturer recommends.
- Before you dig a hole in your yard for a planting project or installing a fence or deck, call your local utility company to make sure you avoid underground gas or power lines.